Thursday, August 2, 2012

Brother/Sister Love and Blacking Out

Don’t worry, this blog isn’t NC-17. Don’t let the title fool you.
So today is Raksha Bandhan or Rakhi Purnima, the Indian holiday which celebrates the relationship between brothers, cousins and sisters. Now I have never heard of a holiday which celebrates the special bond that a brother and sister (and I guess cousins had to get thrown in) but a lot of my colleagues had plans for big meals and were quite excited to be spending time with their siblings this evening.

Apparently this celebration involves the sister giving the brother a rahki (sacred thread), which is worn around the wrist and symbolizes the sister’s love and prayers for her brother’s well-being and for him committing to protect her forever.
Then there is a feast where brother and sister feed each other sweets. The women don’t get bracelets though and that concludes my culture piece for the week.

In other news, nearly 370 million (700 million, can't seem to get a set answer)  in India were without power in what is one of the world’s largest blackouts ever. Fortunately we were sparred here in Bangalore and I can only imagine how much fun that had to have been.
So Mom and Dad, I’m good!  
Lastly, work has been busy so I’ll catch up with some extra material this weekend.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment